Saturday, May 3, 2014

The Comma

Regardless what you may think, I DO know when and where to place commas in a properly formatted sentence. Problem is, when I put on my author hat, I don't always properly format my sentences. Sometimes my sentences are not sentences at all.

Few people use properly formatted sentences when they carry on casual conversations. Reading a novel should be like being on the receiving end of a casual conversation. Sort of. Creative use of words is an art. Alternating long and short sentences helps keep a paragraph flowing, assuming the paragraph is delivering something useful or entertaining. Entertainment is useful, right?

Don't you hate it when you watch a commercial where all the "real people" talk like they are reading a paper for English class? Do you sit there and shake your head and say, "real people don't talk to each other like that"? I do.

Sometimes my fiction omits commas because I don't want the reader to pause just yet. Sometimes I use a period instead of a comma. Commas say slow down. Periods say stop. Exclamations say stop dammit! Art.

Until a few weeks ago, I thought the practice of omitting commas in fiction was a fairly new trend, but I picked up an old copy of The Grapes of Wrath for a third (fourth?) read. John Steinbeck published The Grapes of Wrath in 1939, and he didn't use a lot of commas. Perhaps there was a shortage of commas in 1939. Maybe, just maybe, William Faulkner used them all up.


Visit my website to learn more about my writing, and join me on Facebook to interact.

No comments:

Post a Comment