Sunday, May 4, 2014

4 Words That Make Me Cringe

I'm a writer. I love words ... most of the time. There are some words that grate on my ears, like fingernails on a chalkboard. I'm not sure why. Here are four, in no particular order:

1) Cobbler -- but only when used to describe a pie (i.e., I have a peach cobbler in the oven). Cobblers mend shoes. People eat pies. The depth of the pie dish should not be a factor.

2) Pie -- when used to describe a pizza. Don't ask me why.

3) Novelist -- I write novels, so yes, I am one, but that word makes me cringe. Why? I don't know exactly, maybe because it sounds snobbish to me. Call me a writer, or an author, or an SOB, but please don't call me a novelist.

4) Hate-Speech -- Okay, that's two words, but when used together they make a dangerous phrase. How do you define "hate speech"? More importantly, WHO gets to define it? Let's agree to disagree without assuming we hate each other, okay?

This post was originally titled "5 Words That Make Me Cringe" but I could only think of four. I'm a writer. I love words.

What words make you cringe?


Visit my website for information on my novels. Like my Facebook page for everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment