Saturday, February 2, 2013

10 Questions: Allison Cosgrove



Allison Cosgrove, author
Allison Cosgrove was born and raised in a suburb of Toronto, Ontario. A married mother of three daughters, she works in accounting by day and creates her own worlds by night. She enjoys spending time with her husband and daughters hiking in the woods or sitting by the fire reading a good book. She has had the love of reading and writing detective mysteries from the age of twelve but it has only been since the birth of her youngest that she has gotten serious about crafting some of her own works for others to enjoy. She credits her family and friends with being the driving force that has given her the strength to breathe life into her books.

Contact Links:
Twitter:  @Alleycat34 

Now for 10 Questions:


#1:  You released Sacrifice of Innocence in July 2012. Give us your best elevator pitch, including where it can be purchased.

Children have been dying in Lake City and one man has gotten to the bottom of it. Only questions that remain are can a child sacrificing cult operate in modern day society? And can Detective Brookshire stop them in time? Find out in my debut novel Sacrifice of Innocence available for purchase and download on Amazon.com.

#2:  Besides yourself, who is your favorite detective mystery writer?

James Patterson, has got to be my fave in that department. Stephen King is my favorite author of all time however. He is just awe-inspiring.
#3:  You say your love of reading began at age 12. Was there an event that triggered it, such as a school assignment or gift of a book, or did it just happen gradually?

I've been able to read pretty well since age four, and books in general became my safety zone when the rest of my world wasn't as nice as I would have liked it to be. So when I finally was able to put plot lines together myself I started creating my own worlds to escape into. 
#4:  You have a second book scheduled for an early 2013 release. That's an aggressive schedule. Was book two already in the works before your first release?

Actually I have been writing for so many years that I have a bit of a backlog in the series. There are 10 books in this series so far. Most of the books are done and just need to be edited completely and then sent off to the printing press.
#5:  Tell us about your upcoming release. Is it part of a series?

Its book two in my Stan Brookshire series. In the second book we get to see a bit more of who Detective Brookshire is as a man, what he stands for all while he and Jane are up against the Chinese Triad.
#6:  You work in accounting during the day. Do you have any accounting advice for authors who may not know exactly what to do when the royalty deposits start to trickle in?

Keep track of every expenditure you make with regards to your writing. Even if you buy a book or a new laptop, if you have income as an author chances are you can claim these things as business expenses on your taxes.

#7:  What makes you want to write?

My hope for justice for all. The joy of being able to create a whole different world. Its in my blood. 
#8:  Are you published traditionally or did you take the self-published route?

I was originally traditionally published through a small publishing house however when my rights were reverted back to me in November 2012 I decided to take the self publishing route the second time out.
#9:  It must be difficult to juggle the roles of wife, mother, and writer, while maintaining a day job. What adjustments have your husband and daughters had to make and how supportive have they been?

They are without a doubt my biggest supporters. I don't think I would have the courage to do half of what I have with my writing if I didn't have them behind me. If I am in the swing of things quite often one of them will be bringing coffees to me to keep me fueled while I do my thing. 
#10:  Let's do something different. There has to be a question you were hoping I would or wouldn't ask. Ask yourself that question (please let us see the question), then answer it.

Ok Here we go. This is one I love answering. Where do you get your inspiration for your criminals from?

Answer is I research. A lot. Every one of my bad guys has a real life counterpart that they were based off of.  In some cases there are bits and pieces of several real life criminals in one of my bad guys. That is to say that they are original but their evilness is based somewhat in reality.
* * *
To learn more about Allison Cosgrove, visit her website or, better yet, buy her book. After all, what better way to get to know a writer than by reading them?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment