Thursday, June 7, 2012

10 Questions

I was tilling my garden yesterday, pondering how I could make my blog more interesting, when an idea hit me. I can interview other authors. At first I almost brushed it off, because there are lots of great blogs out there already with very good author interviews.

I've personally learned a lot from them. Writers have this basic urge to reveal their secrets of success to the competition. Writers enjoy helping writers.

But what about readers? I don't think I've ever seen a "reader" interview. As an author, now that other writers have helped me through the self-publishing process, I want to know more about readers. Not just my readers, but readers in general. I want to know how to make them my readers.

What about the people who operate indie bookstores? Wouldn't it be helpful to know what they think? How they select books?

I was beginning to think I was onto something. All sorts of industry-related fields came to mind. Very soon I was coming up with questions, imagined responses, and, of course, a list of people I would like to interview first.

I pitched my idea to two fellow authors whom I have a lot of respect for. Ashley Barron and Suzan Tisdale. Both have successful blogs. Both do author interviews. Both are really good writers. More importantly, I knew I could trust them to give me good advice.

They did not disappoint. Ashley, in fact, made my head hurt with all the things she gave me to think about.

Do you have a question you'd like me to ask an author? Do you know someone interesting who might agree to an interview (possibly yourself)? I would really, really, like to interview an accountant who has specific knowledge of the things authors need to do to keep on the good side of the IRS. Do you know an agent who represents self-published authors? Do you know a reader who might be interested in answering a few questions.

10 Questions. That's the name I've chosen for this little experiment.

I've created an email account dedicated to this venture. Please feel free to contact me with ideas and suggestions. If you would like to be interviewed, tell me why.

The email address is: 10questions@carlpurdon.com

17 comments:

  1. I'm asking you that one. Get ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this idea, Carl ... and for the sake of disclosure, it's something I'd thought about myself over the last 2mos ... but you've beaten me to it! (However, there's lots of space & room & people to interview out here in Cyberia).

    Okay, a question to a READER: When do you tell a novel, "I've had enough; you don't do anything for me!" and fire it from your bookshelf"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. And yes, there's lots of space out there for interviews. Every one offers a different perspective.

      Delete
  3. If I cannot connect with the character or the scenario after getting several chapters into the book, I generally consider it a lost cause. It is pointless to waste time in any endeavor, and reading time is to scarce to waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually less forgiving, Julie, granting only a couple of chapters, maybe less, for the connection.

      Delete
  4. I like books when the author starts the story very quickly and slowly does the introduction of the characters and keeps things in suspense most of the times. I think,that's what makes a book more interesting. Its also should have a reason for a reader to actually care for actually spending their time reading the entire book. Give them something to root for, Know what i mean? okay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one for readers: How much do other author endorsements on the back blurb sway you when choosing a book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A great deal, and in both directions (to buy or disregard). If the blurbs are from author's I've already read I'm more inclined to spend a little more time looking at the book. If a blurb is from an author/person I don't respect (especially if I'm looking at political or social books) then I will leave it on the shelf. You could say I'm wondering about a birds of a feather kind of thing.

      Delete
  6. Great idea! If at all possible, I'd be willing to answer questions as a reader.

    How about editor interviews?


    Again, awesome idea.

    Maribeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be glad to interview you as a reader, ninidee. Send me an email at the address at the bottom of the post (10Questions@carlpurdon.com) and we'll get it started.

      Delete
    2. And, yes, I'm interested in interviewing editors as well. I'd like to cover all aspects of the writing industry.

      Delete
  7. Hi Carl my email is maribethpgraham@comcast.net. I'm excited to answer some questions for you.

    Thanks again,

    Maribeth:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maribeth. I got your bio and will get your questions to you as soon as I can. For a hint as to your first question, read the comment below by Liesel K Hill. :)

      Delete
  8. Hey Carl! Great idea! My question for readers would be, if you have two books, both of which sound interesting and are the type of thing you generally read, how do you choose between the two? What are your deciding factors?

    Oh, and side note: I don't know that I'm a particularly interesting person, but my debut novel will be out in a few months and I'm looking for people interested in hosting interviews, guest posts, etc. to get my name/book out there. Just something to consider if you're looking for people! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Liesel. I'm going to use it in an upcoming reader interview and I'll credit it to you (link your twitter handle).

      As for your debut novel, I'll be very happy to interview you and/or host a guest post. We're all in this thing together.

      Delete
  9. This is a great idea. Would love to be interviewed as a reader. Sent you an email from deangelorenee @gmail.com. My question for readers would be when you are finished with a really great book by an author, do you look for another book by the same author or move on to someone else? Also, how do you find your next read:browse bookstore,blogs,twitter,friend suggestion,etc.?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great questions, Renee. Look for it in upcoming interviews. Thanks.

      Delete